Breastfeeding Scarf Campaign
August is National Breastfeeding Month! Show your support for breastfeeding in our community by donating $5 to our Scarves-for-Moms Campaign. We are partnering with the ADRC Silver Threads program to create breastfeeding-friendly scarfs for breastfeeding mom’s in Portage County.
Visit our online store to buy a scarf (or 2!) for a mom in need in our community.
These scarves will help new moms pump and breastfeed with style and comfort. While Breastfeeding may occur in any public space without a cover, some women feel more comfortable breastfeeding with a drap. These scarves serve that purpose and are intended to help reduce the barrier to initiation and continuation of breastfeeding for those women.
Who qualifies for a scarf? Currently, women who qualify for resources from the Breastfeeding Resource Assistance program through WIC and Prenatal Care Coordination programs will receive a scarf. This program has been shown to:
- Reduce strain on budgets by providing breastfeeding supplies to women with low- incomes
- Allow mother's quick access to essential supplies that support early and successful breastfeeding through a breastfeeding support person in PNCC and WIC
- Increase the likelihood and length of time a mother will breastfeed
Why is this important?
- The World-Health Organization (WHO) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend exclusive breastfeeding for infants for at least the first 6 months.
- Breastfeeding is a poverty prevention strategy and leads to healthier outcomes for both baby and mother
For more information on BRA (Breastfeeding Resource Assistance) contact:
Portage County Health and Human Services
Choose Option #8
Ask to speak to a Prenatal Care Nurse
Breastfeeding Coalition member models a new breastfeeding-friendly scarf, stitched by Silver Threads community volunteer Gretchen.